Weekly Roundup – Momentums Finest On Saturdays VOL 41 [Nov 24]
Happy Saturday Momentum Makers!
I’m hoping those of you south of the 49th parallel had an amazing Thanksgiving. Hopefully it was packed full of good times with family, friends and loved ones. Plus delicious food, drinks and whatever else to make it a joyous occasion.
Over the coming weeks the Weekly Roundup Momentum’s Finest will start to shift slightly from what it was/is now but hopefully it continues to deliver you great content from around the blogging and podcasting community.
Volume 41 features 10 posts (including mine) and 4 podcast episodes.
- 50 Great Frugal Christmas Gifts Under $50 This Holiday Season: Are you looking for some great frugal Christmas gift ideas this Holiday season? This list gives you 50+ gift ideas to save money and not break your budget.
- EQ Bank Review: EQ Bank Savings Plus Account – One Of The Best In Canada: The EQ Bank Savings Plus Account is one of the best savings accounts in Canada. EQ Bank offers safe online banking, no fees, no minimum balance and a 2.3% everyday high interest rate.
- Momentum Series Interview – The Finance Twins: Simplifying Personal Finance For Everyday People: This Momentum Series interview is with Camilo from the personal finance blog The Finance Twins. He shares his financial journey, top money resources, lifestyle inflation tips, blogging experiences and much more.
PERSONAL FINANCE BLOG POSTS
40 Money Lessons Learned After 40 Years on This Earth from Vital Dollar on Budgets Are Sexy
Marc from Vital Dollar is about to hit the big 4-0! Reflecting on his life and the role money has played, Marc shared this guest post on Budgets Are Sexy highlighting 40 money lessons he’s accumulated over that time. From mostly unproductive 20’s to flourishing 30’s, it’s a journey lots can relate to.
To Be A Landlord Or Not To Be? from Money Scrap
Have you considered adding a rental property to your investment portfolio? Caroline from Money Scrap shares her experiences, insights and the not so passive income side of being a landlord.
The War Between Delayed and Instant Gratification from Peerless Money Mentor
The balance between saving for tomorrow vs. spending for today can be a difficult one to manage. Too often we end up at the extreme of one end while missing the mark on the other. Jerry at Peerless Money Mentory explores this concept in a great post on delayed and instant gratification.
Four Hard Money Lessons That I’m Grateful For from She Picks Up Pennies
Given the time of year with Thanksgiving, it’s a great time to show gratitude. How about appreciation and gratitude from pushing forward and continuing to progress after hard money lessons? Penny from She Picks Up Pennies looks back on 4 of those lessons and the role they played.
Buy Less Stuff. Buy More Assets from Four Pillar Freedom
This was a timely post for me as I run through my 2018 finances and wrap my head around Holidays plans to round out this year. How are my assets growing? What will my balance of assets vs. stuff be after another round of Christmas giving/receiving? Zach from Four Pillar Freedom highlights the thought process behind his entire philosophy: buy less stuff, buy more assets.
SIDE HUSTLING & BUSINESS BLOG POST
Why Everyone Should Have Their Own Business (and How to Guarantee Success) from The Mad Fientist
Brandon from The Mad Fientist shares the genesis story of his business and why he feels everyone should have their own. The awesome post includes tips on finding the right business for you, how to do it properly and a handful of the other benefits to doing so.
LIFESTYLE, PRODUCTIVITY & PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT BLOG POST
Real People Success Stories from Michael Dinich
Michael Dinich has compiled quite the collection of interviews with people from all walks of life. Actors, authors, models, entrepreneurs and so on. Find inspiration and motivation from the success stories of real people.
PERSONAL FINANCE PODCAST EPISODES
Big Money Wins—Unique Ways to Save & Use Cash Efficiently from BiggerPockets Money Podcast
The great Jim Wang from Wallet Hacks swings by BiggerPockets Money Podcast to chat with Scott and Mindy. This was a top notch episode! Jim shares his financial journey, becoming an entrepreneur, strategies to save money, tips to managing your time and a ton more.
Travel Hacking for the Non-Rich from Money Peach Podcast
I’m a big fan of travel hacking. Churning cards and looking for value so that I can see this amazing world as affordable and adventurous as possible. Travis Sherry joins the Money Peach Podcast to drop some serious knowledge on travel hacking. Travis hits on the best ways to find the cheapest flights or saving on accommodation and experiencing luxury on a budget.
SIDE HUSTLE PODCAST EPISODE
The Freelancing Mixtape from The Side Hustle Show
Nick Loper has over 300 episodes and counting on The Side Hustle Show covering every topic imaginable on ideas to make more money. To help listeners, Nick packaged up his best of mixtape in terms of content on freelancing. These 16 episodes feature a great collection of stories on those generating serious cash with their own skills and experience.
LIFESTYLE PODCAST EPISODE
Alternate Living from His and Her FI
Michelle from Making Sense of Cents has been quite the avid trailblazer in terms of living the alternate life. She currently sails and travels full-time with her husband on their sailboat while earning over 7-figures from her blog. Before that she travelled the United States doing the same thing in an RV. Get more on the story from Michelle as she joins the His and Her FI podcast.
OTHER PODCASTS I’M LISTENING TO
For those of you new to Making Momentum, I’m somewhat of a podcast addict.
In a totally healthy, functional way.
Alongside the best personal finance podcasts I listen to each week, I enjoy a handful of other shows (well multiple handfuls). Four that I’ve been listening to frequently as of late are noted below. Two of these might not be for everyone as I’ve taken a liking to true crimes podcast of late.
- Kingpins: A podcast on the criminal underworld showcasing the stories of some of histories most notorious kingpins. Included to-date are Richard ‘The Iceman’ Kuklinski, Frank Lucas and Pablo Acosta Villarreal.
- Business Wars: This podcast highlights two moguls or major storylines from various industries in multi-episode series. Past shows include Nike vs. adidas, Xbox vs. Nike, Coke vs. Pepsi and many more.
- Invest Like The Best: I’ve included this show a few times in the Weekly Roundup but I’ve been digging through the archive lately. 100+ episodes that shed light on investing, markets, business analysis and more.
- Gladiator: This was a special 6-part showcase from The Boston Globe Spotlight Team on the life, times and demise of the late NFL-star Aaron Hernandez.
There are countless others across different categories that I subscribe to you as well. I cover most of these in this post on 75+ podcasts to help improve your life.
That’s it for this week, have a great weekend!